What is Workplace Learning?
Workplace Learning is a structured work experience program that provides an opportunity for students to get some first hand, on the job experience or training.
- helps young people make informed decisions when planning their transition through school and from school, to a fulfilling working life.
- gives students an understanding of what attitudes and skills employers are looking for and what training and further education is required.
- widens student's practical experience of workplaces and builds their workplace industry skills as part of their studies.
- allows employers to help young people understand the workplace as well as careers and job opportunities and directions in their industry.
- gives students experience of a workplace and helps them learn quickly and powerfully about the changing nature of work and workplaces.
- allows students the opportunity to participate in the workplace and to practice and extend what they have learned in their training at school or TAFE.
- provides significant credit towards the student's WACE achievement.
Workplace Learning is compulsory component of the VET program at Atwell College in 2014. All Year 11 and 12 VET students at Atwell College, with the exception of those students attending TAFE two days a week, should now be attending their work placement each week. If your son or daughter is yet to secure an ongoing work placement for Workplace Learning please contact their Workplace Learning Officer as soon as possible.
Many local employers have provided work placement opportunities for Atwell College students, including the following:
David Evans Real Estate, Rockingham
Gage Road Brewer, Palmyra
The Body Shop, Rockingham
Southwell Primary School, Hamilton Hill
Plus Fitness 24/7, South Lake
Goodstart Early Learning Centre, Jandakot
Auto-One, Cockburn Central
Taylor Marine, Henderson
Coolsteel Fabrication, Cockburn Central
Austal Ships, Henderson
Kirby Installs Pty Ltd, Mandurah
If you are able to provide a suitable work placement in yourbusiness or organisation please contact Miss Mel Head, the Atwell College Workplace Learning Coordinator, on 9414 4379 or Melinda.firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Pippa Ralston